Thursday, May 14, 2020

Mothers Day For My Honey

When I asked Bev if she wanted to do or eat anything special for Mother’s Day, I was expecting something like a “grilled filet mignon” or “that catfish dish I like” but what I got was “let me call Pat (our neighbor) and see if she’s interested in a hot dog roast and bonfire.  

Well, the neighbors had no plans, a fire by the lake is near the top of Pat’s favorite things list, so a plan was born.

But before the supper meal, I thought she also deserved a special breakfast and I offered one of her favorites of Southwest Breakfast Nachos from Kathy’s A Spoonful Of Thyme blog and we last had them in Jan, 2018.   I usually don’t like to make them as not much can be dome ahead of time so the cooking is all done in the morning, but hey, it is Mothers Day.  No need to re-post the recipe but here are a few shots beginning with Bav and Cindy watching me cook.








The moms and I all enjoyed it especially when washed down with some Peach Spumanti.  Next time I make it I’m going to try something different – after cooking the veggies, mix in the ham and sauce then scramble the eggs with the mixture.  This will make it less like built-up nachos but distribute things, especially the sauce, more evenly on the potatoes – I’ll add the cheese as usual.

After a well deserved relaxing day for the moms (I cleaned up the kitchen and finished mowing), we headed down to the lake for our hot dog roast and enjoy Steve’s fire – I keep think it will be our last time but we keep having cool spells, which I enjoy as heat will be here soon enough.



Bev and Pat getting things ready to eat while the others visit and Romeo explores the lake bank.




After eating the fire was built up and Pat enjoyed one of her favorite activities - playing with the fire.



It was a fun evening, as usual, with good food and good friends.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

5/10/20 event date

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day, love the bonfire and lake and good food! You've got it all covered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to spend Mother's Day. Those nachos look tasty! I bet they would also be good with over easy eggs on top instead of scrambled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, What a good guy you are!! Happy wife, happy life! The fire with hot dogs by the lake looks like it was fun. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cook and clean up. Can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love everything about this post. That casserole, and a good old fashioned wienie roast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun day and lucky lady got to eat a delicious casserole that looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the day was exactly what Bev wanted, then that's really pretty perfect, isn't it? Today was our first warm day this spring, so I understand Bev wanting to enjoy the great outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot dogs by a lake fire sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments