Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Open-Faced Egg Salad Sandwich with Bacon and Chives Ala Pam

You may not realize this, but I love eggs and don’t believe I’ve yet to meet one I didn’t like and that includes those made into egg salad.  My go-to breakfast is simply a toasted English muffin topped with a couple of fried eggs with the occasional addition of meat or cheese.  So when Pam posted the recipe for Open-Faced Egg Salad Sandwich withBacon and Chives on her For The Love Of Cooking blog, I saw it as a kicked-up version of my go-to and knew it had to be tried.  Click on the link for shots of Pam's and her original recipe.

While I wanted to use Pam’s sandwich construction, I wanted to use a little different version of egg salad using this recipe (adapted for 12 eggs) from Spend With Pennies which is more like our normal one.  You can click on the link to get Holly’s original recipe and more pics like this one.


Best Egg SaladAdapted from Spend With Pennies

Ingredients:
12 hard boiled eggs
¾ cup mayonnaise
2¼ teaspoons yellow mustard
1½ green onion thinly sliced
1½ rib celery finely diced
3 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped

Instructions:
1. Cut eggs in half. Remove yolks and chop whites.
2. Mash yolks with mayonnaise, mustard and salt & pepper to taste until smooth and creamy.
3. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.

Bev used the food processor to chop the whites then blend the yolks and mayo

For the sandwiches, these are the ingredients for two English muffin halves.

Ingredients:
1 mini bagel, English muffin, split and toasted
2 slices cheese, or shredded (your favorite kind)
Lettuce, shredded
1 piece of crumbled bacon
Sprinkle of fresh chives, chopped (not many as the egg salad has onion)

This is for the four muffin halves I made.


Directions:
1. Make the egg salad and lightly warm in the microwave.
2. Toast the English muffin or mini bagel then top with cheese and put back in the oven until melted.


3. Top with lettuce or your favorite greens.


4. Top with a scoop of egg salad.


5. Sprinkle the top with bacon bits and fresh chives.


6. Serve immediately. Enjoy.  This is my plate.


We all thought it was very good but I couldn’t taste the cheddar cheese so next time it will be pepper jack or no cheese.  Definitely a keeper dish for breakfast and this could be the go-to egg salad recipe.  Thanks Pam and Holly for a delicious breakfast.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/15/20 event date

4 comments:

  1. YUM! Adding pepper jack next time sounds like a good plan and that egg salad looks creamy & so delicious. I think I know what I'm making for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam, Great looking egg salad sandwich! Egg salad is one of my wife's favorites... I saw that ya'll had snow again this past week. Hoping spring arrives soon for you and yours. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, Delete my previous note that I sent to "Pam". DUhhh... Maybe being confined is frying my brain. Saw it was her name at the top of the post and just went with it. Poor Pam though...they have had snow twice this past week. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea and will try it soon. My favorite breakfast is a toasted English muffin, with mayo and a fried egg.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments