Thursday, February 20, 2020

Hip Update - 16th Day

I went to see the surgeons PA on 2/18 and she said everything looked good and I go back for a final visit in six weeks.  Here is a chronology of events so far:

2/3 – Total left hip replacement
2/4 – Go home from hospital
2/6 – Go to first therapy session at CORA Therapy in Alcoa, TN (20 mile drive)
2/8 – Take final narcotic drug for pain, I’ve experienced very little pain
2/9 – First short drive of the car, with Bev
2/10 – Drive self to therapy, with Bev along
Continue one-hour therapy sessions three times/week plus exercise at home
2/18 – Follow-up appointment with surgeon’s PA
2/19 – Moved from the walker to a cane at therapy because I can now fully weight my new hip – a major milestone.

Now it’s just a matter of continuing to strengthen the new hip as it heals and increase its flexibility.  I’m really pleased with how it’s going so far and the therapist seems to think I’m a little ahead of schedule – which is good.  I’ll keep the chronology going and provide another update when warranted.  My goal is to be good as new for our next RV trip in mid-April.

I can say that if you have a hip needing replacement, don’t put it off as it is much less painful and easier to recover from than a knee.  Just find yourself a good surgeon, make sure they use the anterior procedure, and plan on about 6 weeks of semi-downtime.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

2/19/20 event date

6 comments:

  1. Great news. I'm hoping I never have to face any kind of replacement but good to know how well you've recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for giving us that kind of day by day, so glad your feeling better healing prayers coming your way to get back on the road again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are healing nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, Thanks for the update... As for the anterior hip replacement, I do agree but the main difference for me between the 2 versions wasn't pain but it was recovery time with anterior being shorter. Keep on healing! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news!! Glad you are mending right up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your progress is wonderful! I'm sure it will be good to be pain free at the start of RV season.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments