Sunday, September 1, 2019

Chile Colorado Ala Pam


I don’t know if I’d ordered this dish at a restaurant but I know I’ve never made it but have wanted to, so when I saw Pam’s pretty easy recipe on her For The Joy Of Cooking Blog, I had to give it a try.  Rather than republish her recipe here, you can just click on this link and get it along with her pics.  I followed Pam’s recipe except I omitted the Arbol chile for fear of too much heat for Bev but I will include it next time as the dish was pretty mild.  My other change was to cut the meat into 1” pieces vs. her ½“ size.


I used a 3# chuck roast and tossed nearly half of it after trimming so next time I’ll use a different beef cut if I can’t find a better looking chuck.

We served it over rice sided with a black bean and corn salad using this recipe from All Recipes.

Black Bean and Corn Salad II

Ingredients:
1/3 cup fresh lime juice or more to taste
1/2 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels (we used some leftover boiled corn)
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.



I thought the Chile Colorado was very good and will be making it again and the salad was also good – Bev added a little more lime juice.  As it happens, we went to our favorite local Mexican restaurant a few days later so I ordered their Chile Colorado and while it was okay, it was not in the same league with the one Pam’s recipe produced.  Thanks Pam for another fine supper.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8/29/19 event date

3 comments:

  1. Larry, I love Chili Colorado and order it in Mexican restaurants about half the time we dine in them... The spicier the better for me of course. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to make Chile Colorado. I've had it a few times in the Southern part of our state. I'm glad you got to compare it to a restaurant version. I'll be making this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet. I am glad you liked it! Mine was rather mild in spice too, enough so that it didn't bother my son who is sensitive to spice. The salad looks wonderful and I am sure it paired nicely with the Chile Colorado. Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments