Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Baked White Fish

After getting both knees replaced, I believed I was good to go for the rest of my life until I developed a left hip issue late last year and when a steroid shot in March only relieved the pain for three weeks I knew what I had to do.  I had hobbled around for a couple of years before dealing with my knees and have learned not to wait for a miracle cure and just get things replaced so I went to see the surgeon this week.  It was confirmed that my hip was indeed in bad shape and needed replacement but I needed to lose 40 pounds before the surgery could be done.  Since I need to lose more than that anyway this will hopefully provide the incentive I’ve needed.

As a result of this need, my food posts will now need to be much lower cal so I’ll be searching for recipes that are still good but will help me toward my goal - plus alcohol has become a no-no.  We had a package of White Fish in the freezer from last year’s Michigan trip and I found a recipe from Taste Of Home that sounded good and I followed the recipe as written except for the cooking pan and time.  

This is pic from the web.



Golden Baked Whitefish

Ingredients:
2 pounds whitefish fillets
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
1 teaspoon grated onion
Fresh dill and lemon wedges, optional

Original Directions:
Place fish in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with salt & pepper. Beat egg white with salt if desired until stiff peaks form. Fold in mayonnaise, dill and onion; spoon over fish. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until topping is puffed and fish flakes easily with a fork (adjust time for fish thickness - about 9 minutes for mine). Garnish with dill and lemon if desired.

For a side dish, I cooked up some Brussels sprouts that I had recently discovered in the freezer by steaming until tender then sauteing in a little lemon, butter, garlic sauce.

We all thought the fish was pretty good but it didn’t look like the picture in the recipe as my thin piece of fish couldn’t stay in the oven long enough for the topping to get brown.  Now I know to bake it a few minutes then turn on the broiler to finish cooking – I really liked the flavor or the topping.  After having it several ways, I believe that White Fish is best when fried.  The frozen sprouts turned out fine but not quite as good as when using fresh ones.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

6/5/19 event date

8 comments:

  1. Your Whitefish looks pretty tasty, but is not our favourite fish, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Dude, I am pulling for you on your weight loss. There is no secret to weight loss and that is less calories. i struggle constantly with willpower issues. I am pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, Damn that looks healthy! I like fish and Brussels sprouts so although missing the carbs, it looks pretty good. You can do the weight thing... I'm back up about 15 lbs but I'm still 36 lbs. below my high since moving down here to paradise. At one point I was down 51 lbs and starting next week it's back on low carb and the renewal of our wellness center membership. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Losing weight is no fun but with meals like that it might still be tasty! The fish sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, spaghetti squash helps a lot with the craving for spaghetti but without the extra calories. Meanwhile, this meal looks right up my alley. Another thing you can do with these thin filets is to broil them; that browns them up, but doesn't overcook them. You have a whole world of people cheering you on with the weight loss program, and I'm sure you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made this, it's good but it didn't make for a good pic, https://pamsmidwestkitchenkorner.blogspot.com/2019/02/golden-baked-turbot-with-twist.html#more ! Now that it's grilling season, love fish on the grill, no or little oil needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks scrumptious I could eat fish everyday especially this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your changes sound tasty - glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments