Monday, April 1, 2019

Steak Taste Test

Years ago, a local legend, Allen Benton, of Benton’s Country Hams (he is also a beef guy) advised me that even deer tenderloin is tender so no need to pay extra for high grade beef tenderloin and since I’d eaten nice, tender deer tenderloin, I believed him.  However, when Bev came home the other day with a package of prime beef tenderloin steaks (I’d never seen them before) from Sam’s Club, we decided to do a little comparison with a choice filet she bought at Walmart.  The first thing I noticed was the big difference in appearance in both color and marbling.


The marbling surprised me because I’ve cut up a lot of whole tenderloins and never found much in any of them but I may have been getting select.  To cook, we went our usual Montreal Steak Seasoning and high then medium heat – I was planning to use reverse sear but my probe thermometer malfunctioned.


We got some more of those nice big mushrooms from our neighbor and sauteed them in olive oil, butter, and worcestershire  to go with the meat.   


I nearly forgot the plated shot while we were taste testing.


And the verdict is that we thought the prime steak was a little more tender and with a little more flavor and since Bev paid about $13 for the choice and $17 for the prime, I suggested the prime was worth the difference and she should buy them for Pat and her (the filet lovers) when she found them – I’m a rib-eye or strip steak guy myself.  The schrooms were also very good.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

3/29/19 event date

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun taste test to me, making me want a good steak now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always buy the top grade available, because if I'm going to go to the effort of cooking, I want it to be the best that I can have. Your cooked steak looks just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, The steak looks good and of course Laurie would kill for mushrooms like those. As for steaks, I don't mind a quality cut strip steak but we both almost always order ribeyes when we're out or when we're buying for our grill. Did some nice 1.25 inch thick ribeyes the other night. Cranked up the grill to 500 - 600 degrees...4.5 minutes on the first side and 3.5 on the other. Medium rare and yummy. Worcestershire sauce and Kirkland's steak seasoning for the prep. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I switched over to prime cuts when we grilled steaks. Yes it costs more but the flavor is worth the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your taste tests. I rarely buy tenderloins, usually grab ribeyes. I like the seasoning for the mushrooms. Don't think I've ever tried Worcestershire sauce before. Now I'm craving steak and mushrooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family prefers leaner beef like filet but I am with you Larry - rib-eye is my favorite!! The mushrooms look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a leaner filet my husband is Rib eye only man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just love a good steak! I haven't posted our reverse sear recipe, yet, but I have to say that our steak was incredibly moist and cooked perfectly-- and those came from Costco. I just bought two new grilling cookbooks (I can hardly wait for warmer weather) and am anxious to try "chuck-eye roast". I use that cut for braising, but apparently it's supposed to be super tender. Anyway, your steaks are cooked exactly as I like them-- and Montreal Steak seasoning is one of my favorite and simple ways to season. Now, I'm craving steak!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arrrrrrrrrrrgh! I wrote a detailed comment and it disappeared! Bottom line: your steak is cooked exactly as I love it. So far, we've had good luck with Costco meats, but every so often I splurge and buy grass fed at Whole Foods. I can hardly wait for grilling weather. I bought two new grilling cookbooks (Ameria's Test Kitchen and Weber grilling). I anxious to test out grilling "Chuck Eye Roast" since I've used it for braising (super tender). I vote for Montreal Steak Seasoning as my "go to" seasoning. Great info!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your taste test proved interesting, the steaks look perfectly cooked and delicious with the sautéed mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments