Monday, March 25, 2019

Stuffed Mushrooms & Salmon Cooking Time

SALMON
We had all been craving salmon so I found a recipe with an Oriental slant to it and baked the entire fillet.  I used the recipe from The Recipe Critic and it had a good flavor.


We sided it with Lea Ann's Cheesy, Creamy, Tangy, Microwave Cauliflower from her Cooking On The Ranch Blog for a very good meal.



But what I really want to discuss here is the fish cooking times rather than the flavor so here are the recipe cooking instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lay the salmon on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold up the sides of the aluminum foil around the salmon.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pour the glaze over the salmon. Top the salmon with aluminum foil and seal.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until salmon is cooked throughout. Take the foil off of the top and baste the salmon with the sauce in the foil. Broil for 3-5 minutes or until brown and caramelized. Garnish with lemon slices and chopped parsley if desired.

I followed the  first two directions but decided the cooking time was way to long so I cut it to 15 minutes.  When I removed it from the oven and checked the internal temp it was at 137F but I still put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes per the directions.

I didn’t recheck the internal temp but the meat was too done for Cindy and me but just right for Bev.  I like mine around 125F which means the fish flakes will still have a little sheen on them and not be completely dry. 

My main purpose here is to get this documented so I’ll know what to do next time – I know I won’t remember, so if you are cooking your salmon in a sealed pouch, 15 minutes will get it plenty done but I will cook for just 10 minutes next time and add a little more time if needed.

MUSHROOMS
Our neighbors ended up with too many large white mushrooms (not sure of the type but 3-5” diameter) and asked if we would like to make a joint meal with them and I quickly agreed to stuff them and used a recipe from Taste Of Home which I amended just slightly.


Ingredients:
1½ pound bulk pork sausage
3/8 cup finely chopped onion
2 garlic clove, minced
1½ package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
3/8 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
4½ teaspoons dried basil
2¼ teaspoons dried parsley flakes
30 large fresh mushrooms (about 1-1/2 pounds), stems removed
4½ tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add cream cheese and Parmesan cheese; cook and stir until melted. Stir in bread crumbs, basil and parsley.
2. Meanwhile, place mushroom caps in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan, stem side up. Brush with butter. Spoon sausage mixture into mushroom caps. Bake, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. – Note 1

Note 1 – Since these were much larger than the typical button mushrooms, after stem removal and cleaning, I cooked them cap side up for about eight minutes, removed from the oven and brushed on a good coat of melted butter, then flipped and brushed the stem side.  I then filled and baked for 12 minutes which made them just right.

Ready for the oven.


We sided them with broccoli casserole and salad for a very tasty meal and I will use this stuffing recipe again.


Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

3/18 & 3/23/19 event dates

8 comments:

  1. Yummy to very tasty meals thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Great looking salmon filet! That cauliflower recipe sounds very interesting too... You know my food likes and vise versa but Laurie would kill for nice stuffed mushrooms like yours! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fallen in love with mashed Cauliflower and Zucchini Spirals these days --since I am dieting again (as always)... ha.... My heart meds cause me to gain --so I have to be so careful... NOT fun --but just life!!!

    Enjoyed following you all on your latest trip.... Makes me want to spend time in and around Sedona...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That salmon looks great. I'm never sure of exactly how long to cook fish, so I end up checking it almost obsessively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never cooked salmon wrapped in foil. I usually just roast it in a baking dish. I must try this method. And those mushrooms??? HAVE to make those soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - that salmon looks incredible and I'm drooling over those mushrooms. Love the cauliflower too! I love the way you cook Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Larry, my husband and I are just like you when it comes to how fish should be cooked. Most recipes tend to have way to long of a cooking time. I'm glad you posted your opinions on how long you think it should really be cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole meal looks yummy! Great combination of flavors on the salmon and I am loving those stuffed mushrooms.

    I have found that my preferred method to cook salmon is at a high heat for a short time - 500 for 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments