Friday, March 15, 2019

Southwestern RV Trip – Days 60-62, Still Heading Home

After a day to rest, we got back on the road on Sunday (an hour late as we were unaware of the DST change - ain't retirement great?) and drove thru Oklahoma City to Seminole, OK to stay at the Bar H Bar Travel Center which contained a fuel stop, a convenience store, a restaurant, and a campground.  Overhead from the web.


The campground was pretty basic except we did have a concrete pad but it was plenty good enough for an overnight stay and very convenient to be able to fuel up the coach and us at the same stop.  We were assigned site four which was long enough to keep the car hooked up for the one night stay.  Pat opted to stay at the coach but Bev and I went next door for supper.  


Bev had a good burger and I again tried chicken fried steak which just okay – therefore our best CFS came for the little campground restaurant inFt Stockton, TX.

The I-40 road surface thru the rest of the Texas panhandle and the western part of Oklahoma were all good to very good except a section just west of Okla City.

On Monday we pointed toward North Little Rock, Ark and I-40 continued to be good until we entered Sequoyah County, OK where the surface was bad for 30 miles then we entered Arkansas and the surface was pretty rough most of the trip.  

We pulled into the North LittleRock KOA in early afternoon after a 300 mile drive.  The total trip home from Camp Verde is 1750 miles and I try to plan for 275-325 miles per day (about 6 hours with stops) and I take every third day off for a rest.

We were assigned site G7 at the KOA which was a long pull thru with good utilities, cable TV and WiFi – no satellite in the heavily wooded campground.  



This is an older KOA in a nice spot but it needs a lot of work to be considered a good campground.  After a quick run to Kroger's, a little resting, and a glass of wine, Bev made some very good chicken quesadillas for supper.

After a night and morning of rain we did a few little items to the coach, relaxed and, for Tuesday supper, I made bratwurst with kraut (peppers and onions for Pat) and boiled potatoes – we left home with them in January and wanted to use them up.  To use only our single eye induction cooker, I boiled the potatoes first them kept them warm in the toaster over, then I cooked the sausages, peppers, and onions in the pan, and warmed the kraut in the microwave.  As much as I like our 6 burner gas cook top at home, if I were buying a new one, I would want at least two induction eyes.




This is my plate and I nuked it after adding the cheese.  Then I added some boiled potatoes mashed up with butter and kraut.


We all agreed it was a good meal but these brats from Fredericksburg, TX were not as good as our favorite source – The Wurst Kitchen in Aurora. IL.  This finished up our down day and we got ready for the final two driving days to get home.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

3/10 – 3/12/19 event dates

6 comments:

  1. Moving right along and and enjoying some tasty food, the Brats and Kraut look wonderful.
    We like our 3 burner gas stove and oven in our coach, get a lot of use.
    Safe travels the rest of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Bev and Pat, Welcome Home! Take Care, Dave and Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though (or maybe because) it's older, the big trees give it a nice ambiance. I'm sure that you're just itching to get home on the final leg of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me craving CFS!!! I haven't had it in years. Glad you are having a nice trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm going to have to Google induction eyes. Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments