Sunday, December 16, 2018

Walleye and Baby Limas


Well, the two casseroles are gone after a week and it was time for something else to eat.  Since Bev is not a fan of lake fish, other than crappie, and I was eating alone and working on the freezer, I opted for a meal of deep fried Walleye, from Michigan, and baby lima beans – Bev doesn’t like them either.

For the fish, I just salted and peppered the skin-on fillets then dusted them in House Autry Seafood Seasoning, which made for a light breading on the fish – note how finely the breading is ground.



I cooked them in 350F oil a couple of minutes per side until golden brown – they were pretty thin so it didn’t take long and I hate overcooked fish.


For the beans, I used a recipe from the web for Cracker Barrel Baby Limas and sort-of followed the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 chicken bouillon cube (Larry used chicken base)
2 slices bacon (Larry used a tsp of bacon grease)
1 clove garlic, peeled and lightly mashed (Larry used ½ tsp of garlic powder)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sugar (Larry omitted)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 (16-ounce) bag frozen baby lima beans

Instructions:
1. Bring water, chicken base, and bacon grease to a boil in a medium pot.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Stir and cover. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
3. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then and adding a little more water if needed. (There doesn't need to be much liquid, but you do need some.)
4. Season to taste with salt.


The fish was delicious and the beans were very good – I didn’t even need to add butter to them.

I only ate 1½ pieces of the fish and knew what I would be having for breakfast the next morning.  I nuked the fish for a minute then put it in the toaster oven with the English muffin to crisp up a bit and I added a couple of sunny-side up eggs for an outstanding breakfast.


Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

12/15 & 12/16/18 Meal Dates

8 comments:

  1. Love our Walleye too, looks like a fine meal, though no fan of lima beans either.
    And yes your breakfast looks outstanding as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, These 2 meals are right in my wheelhouse! Love fried walleye and baby lima beans... That breakfast looks even better. In my case, I would have stacked the fish on top of the muffin halves and 2 eggs on top of that with Tabasco added for a bit pop! (Walleye Benedict!) Looks like you're surviving pretty well for a temporary bachelor... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fish looks delicious! A couple of great meals, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had walleye for dinner a couple of nights ago with green beans. They were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are eating well while the girls are away Larry. Love fish like this - bet it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I think both the fish and baby lima beans look delicious. Love that you had the leftovers with perfectly cooked eggs the following day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those walleyes! And lima beans too, my fave! Wish we had some walleyes now! Those eggs don't look bad either. Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great meal! We love the walleye from Costco. My husband grills it on a flat cast iron griddle outside and it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments