Saturday, July 14, 2018

Not Your Mama’s Grilled Cheese

I’ve never met a grilled cheese sandwich that I didn’t enjoy, even the most basic made with just a slice of American cheese and some mayo and I guess it’s because bread fried in butter taste pretty darned good by itself.   I’ve also had the other direction with a hamburger between two grilled cheeses...


and a grilled cheese topped with an egg for breakfast...


and many others too numerous to mention.  Unless it’s something very unique, I don’t order them in restaurants but I love making them at home, such as this little creation for a recent lunch.

For the bread, it was Sourdough, still warm from the mornings visit to the Mennonite Farmers Market, buttered on one side and slathered on the other with room temperature Smoked Gouda Pimento Cheese from Sam's Club.  This is the best store bought pimento cheese I've eaten and about as good as Bev's homemade.



I cooked it as two separate halves in a covered skillet. 



Once the bread was browned and the cheese was warm and soft, I topped one half with chopped onion (I like it on just about everything), bacon, and sliced heirloom tomato (farmers market), and I added mayo to the other side.



I married the two slices, cut it in half, and dug in.



It may not have won the best grilled cheese sandwich ever, but it would have gotten some votes, although it was a little messy to eat.  I might have added some homemade dill pickle slices but the grandkids ate our entire 1½ gallons while here and two weeks before their ready date – so we picked up another 8# of pickling cucumbers while at the farmers market for a new batch.  

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

7/10/18 Meal Date

9 comments:

  1. Larry, Wow! Now that's a grilled cheese sandwich... I've never and I don't think that Laurie has ever had a grilled cheese sandwich with mayonnaise. Interesting... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some yummy looking ideas there Larry thanks for sharing, so many great things you can do with a grilled cheese. Like David have never had mayo on my grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just over the top with goodness, Larry! I've got to hunt down that pimento cheese for sure! Grilled American cheese sandwich with mayo, never tried that either, a must try now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While just a tad high on the calorie scale and definitely not your mother's grilled cheese, I bet it was great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that gourmet grilled cheese! Outstanding bite of deliciousness I'm sure :) Wow way up there on the creativity chart. I need to find that pimento cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    HRB....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am now officially looking for smoked gouda pimento cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, that has me drooling! It looks SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments