Friday, March 23, 2018

Honey Soy Grilled Pork Chops & Root Vegetables & Pups

Another hard time in the life of our four legged kids - Romeo lays on his back way more than any dog we’ve had.


Ever have those days when you are only running about half speed?  This was one of those for me so I wanted a quick easy recipe for grilled pork chops and found this one at Diethood – I wanted to grill on this last pretty day for a while but didn’t want to put a lot of effort into it.

Honey Soy Grilled Pork Chops

Ingredients:
1/4 cup organic honey
1 to 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
4 bone-in pork chops – about ¾“ thick

Instructions:
1. Sprinkle both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper and place in a large resealable bag.
2. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, oil, and white vinegar; whisk until thoroughly incorporated.
3. Add the prepared honey mixture to the pork chops; seal the bag and let stand 1 hour.
4. When ready to cook, preheat the grill.
5. Remove the pork chops from the bag and place on the grill; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the pork chop easily releases from the grill.
6. Flip and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 140F. 
7. You can also make these pork chops in a grill pan set over medium-high heat, or a nonstick skillet.



Honey Soy Root Vegetables

I had the bulb part of a butternut squash and one parsnip left from our stew and thought the pork marinade might work well with them so I cut them into bite sized pieces and par-boiled until tender.  I melted ½ stick of butter in a skillet and after putting the chops on the grill, I added the remaining marinade in the bag to the butter followed by the veggies.  I only cooked them long enough to become reheated and tossed them several times to coat with the butter mixture.



I thought the meal turned out very good (chops cooked just right at 140F) but Bev said the chops needed a little more umph – maybe some heat, more soy sauce, or perhaps some ginger.  I thought the veggies were the best part of the meal and would use the marinade again for them even if no meat was involved.  I believe it would work well for any sweet vegetable desires such as carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, peppers, etc.  A sprinkle of your favorite spice such as cinnamon, nutmeg, etc might also be in order for your taste.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

3/20/18 Meal Date

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like another easy tasty meal on the grill plus the veggies to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your idea of an easy dinner and mine are sooo different. Mine would be a bowl of cereal. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM. I bet ginger would have added a bit of zing to the chops - I love honey & soy together. I think the whole meal looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought to marinate the veggies that way - I bet it was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never thought to marinate veggies - great idea. I bet they were good. And those pork chops! They look so good. And those dogs! They look so spoiled. :) My gosh that little Romeo is too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, As you would expect, I'm probably with Bev on the extra something with the pork chops...but those vegetables look absolutely luscious! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments