Saturday, November 25, 2017

Baked Seafood - Feeding Myself Suppers – Part 1

In the previous post, I covered some of my breakfast meals and this one will be about suppers. 

While moving the freezer stuff around (after it quit working), I discovered a package of four salmon filet pieces that I thought we had, but couldn’t find, and decided to cook them for a couple of meals.  I found recipe on line using oil, garlic and lemon, but since I’ve always liked to use mayo in lieu of oil, I modified it to get this.

Baked Salmon

Ingredients:
4 servings of salmon fillet
S&P to taste
Mayo to cover
Couple of teaspoons of minced garlic
Lemon and lime slices
Sprinkle of dried dill

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 4 sided baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the salmon in the middle of the foil.
2. S&P the salmon and add a layer of mayo.
3. Sprinkle on some dried or fresh dill
4. Top with sliced lemon or lime.


4. Cover the pan with foil
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.

We had a couple of part bags of Yukon Gold and red potatoes that were sprouting and needed to be cooked so I peeled and boiled them all.  While taking out the dogs, I discovered some fresh parsley that survived last night’s freeze so I decided to have parsley potatoes for this meal.


As I see it, a typical meal often includes an appetizer, main course of protein, starch, and vegetable, and a dessert but I changed it up a little.  For an appetizer, I had a glass of wine (aperitif), and my main course was protein, starch, and fruit rather than vegetable in the form of fermented grape juice, and for dessert I just had a second piece of salmon.  If you work hard enough, anything can be justified.

Baked Catfish

While we are both carnivores, Bev is the one who wants meat for nearly every meal and that means beef, pork or chicken.  I’m more likely to be okay with meatless meals and I’m definitely more of a fish lover than her, so you will see several fish/seafood meals from me while she is gone. 

When we were in New England a few years ago, one of the restaurant dishes I really enjoyed was haddock baked in an individual serving dish so I decided to try and replicate it using catfish – any white fish works.  One of the key ingredients is a crisp topping to go along with herbs and spices. 

I went on line and found two recipes that when combined seemed a good place to start and I ended up with this – since I ate only the fish, I considered this as one serving.

Ingredients:
12 oz catfish fillets (2 pieces)
½ cup unseasoned panko bread crumbs
4 T butter melted
Old Bay seasoning to taste
2 T grated parmesan
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. Add about a tablespoon of melted butter (or more) to a baking dish and arrange the catfish in a single layer.
3. To the fish, sprinkle with S&P, Old Bay, and parsley.


4. Mix the Panko, 3T melted butter, and Parmesan in a bowl and spread evenly over the fish.



5. Bake 15 minutes, then broil until the topping is browned.


I thought it was very good but with a tad too much parsley.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/22/17 Meal Date

6 comments:

  1. Some very nice meals and have done very similar versions of these as well so yummy.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using mayo on chicken and fish - and your catfish looks incredible. Are you going to put up all the Christmas decorations while they are gone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, Very creative and both meals look good! I could happily go for either or both... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are enjoying your time in the kitchen and feeding yourself quite well! If we put mayonnaise on chicken, why not fish! Perfect. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the crunch panko adds to protein. The fish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments