I’ve been freezer diving again and discovered a package of boneless short ribs needing to be cooked. Since I was looking for easy and low mess, I went in search of slow cooker recipes and discovered just what I was looking for: easy, ingredients we had on hand, and tasty sounding. We rarely cook Asian and I’m not sure why, as we always enjoy it when we do.
The recipe we used was from Damn Delicious and I followed the one below with one exception.
1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
5 pound bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2″ pieces (I used 2# of boneless)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1. In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and red pepper flakes, if using.
2. Place short ribs into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in soy sauce mixture until well combined.
3. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours (4-5 is better for the meat we had).*
4. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Stir in mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
5. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley and sesame seeds, if desired.
*To test for doneness, pull on a bone as it should slide out freely
I used only two pounds of meat as that is what I had and it made three good servings, but there was enough sauce for another pound of meat and 4-5 servings.
We all thought it was good but not blow-you-away and I thought it was very good for the effort I had to put into it.
Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
8/04/17 Meal Date