Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Limoncello Follow-Up

Back in May, I posted about our first batch of limoncello and commented that the next batch would be made with Everclear but I ended up using 100 proof vodka instead and I made a larger batch using 2.5 liters of the liquor and scaled the other ingredients to get this.

25 lemons
2.5 liters of 100 proof vodka
6 2/3 cup sugar
8 1/3 cups water

I added everything to a gallon jar and let it macerate for 3 weeks then added the sugar water (it took two containers) and let it set another month before bottling (it was delicious).


For our third batch, I used 1.75 liters of vodka and 750ml of Everclear and I look forward to seeing if there are any differences (in about six weeks).  If mine looks like it has less lemon peel than others, that's because it contains all of the liquor. 


Thanks Velva for getting me started with making this.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

5/12/17 Finished Date

8 comments:

  1. That looks like an interesting process. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw this post-I was smiling. My experience was go for the Everclear. I used both Everclear and a and the generic version of Everclear and it did not produce quality results. Now, I think it was Leann that said that there is a 150 proof vodka that worked really well too. Keep the limoncello in the freezer and its really good ice cold.
    Hope all is well.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I've only had limoncello once but I loved it. I am sure homemade is the best.

    By the way, I had my comment section fixed (fingers crossed). Let me know if you still have the same problem when commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks good, and sounds like a good thing to try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Once you find something that you really like you do persist until it's perfected! Maybe the next time we see each other, Laurie and I will be in our 'diet window' and we can sample a bit of your limoncello. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made Limoncello with vodka years ago and it was delicious. This would be perfect over ice on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments