Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Arroz Con Pollo (Rice With Chicken)

When I saw this recipe on Chris’ Nibble Me This blog, I knew I wanted to try it and I considered it for my BD dinner but it didn’t satisfy my easy, little mess criteria.  Chris made it with the goal of replicating the version he had eaten at the Knoxville Pelancho’s Restaurant - the place that contributed the most to my margarita recipe. 

We basically followed Chris’ recipe with three deviations:

1. We used chicken breasts as that’s what we had.
2. We had no sazon spice and made our own  - ½ t coriander, ½ t cumin, ½ t garlic powder, ½ t salt, ½ t paprika (or turmeric for yellow)
3. We made the queso sauce with what we had on hand and needed to use. 

Queso Sauce
12 oz Mexican Dipping Cheese


6 oz     Queso Dip


1 c.      chicken stock
¼ t.      dried oregano

Since I used the spiced cheeses, I omitted the peppers from the queso and it was very tasty and plenty hot.  While the flavor was very good, the cup of chicken stock made the sauce too thin so I wish I had added a little at a time – it was a margarita day.

We had a couple more chicken breasts so I added them to the marinade and then grilled them – they were very good and we’ll use the marinade again.


My finished shots all turned out poorly so I borrowed this one from Chris’ blog to inspire you to stop by there for more great shots and the recipe.


We both thought it was very good and the biggest endorsement was Bev saying she wanted to try it again very soon and so do I.  Normally I would not post something without finished photos, but I wanted to be sure you knew about his recipe in case you wanted to give it a try (we recommend you do).

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

9/19/14 meal date

11 comments:

  1. Now that looks like a very tasty dish, thats for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very tasty. We love Mexican food but not too hot..
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, One of these days we'll be inspired enough by photos like these to cook Mexican food at home...but most of the time we just go out to a restaurant when we have a craving. Laurie would really like this entree though... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drooled when I first saw this recipe... excuse me while I wipe MORE drool off of my chin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your chicken on the grill shot. And pretty much all of my food shots are crappy, so I'd never criticize yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds wonderful, Larry, and definitely worth a try in this kitchen. We love Mexican! and of course who could forget the margaritas?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, We just got back from Texas ---and I must say that we had some awesome TexMex food while there. Had two kinds of Queso dip ---one made with white cheese and one with yellow cheese of some kind. We loved the one with white cheese SO much more--but they were both good. The fish tacos down there were awesome also. I thought I would have gained some weight --after drinking those raspberry margaritas --and amaretto margaritas while there... ha (But I came home 1.6 pounds lighter somehow!!!)

    Your dish looks fabulous...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds and looks good! We love Mexican food, lots of it here and I want to try this recipe. Love it with the heat! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds and looks wonderful Larry. Love a good cheese dip :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too saw that recipe and want to give it a try. Sounds so delicious. Love that you made your own Sazon spice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Sazon seems better than the one we used. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments