Friday, April 26, 2013

Parmesan Crusted Pork Chop

I love it when a plan comes together.  Bev got in from Sint Maarten the previous night and said she wanted just grilled meat and salad for supper this day – I guess she’d gained a couple of pounds.  Not ten minutes later, I read “Plain Chicken” to discover Steph’s post for Parmesan Crusted Skirt Steak and decided it would work equally well with pork chops – I had several pork loin roasts in the freezer.

Parmesan Crusted Pork Chopslightly adapted from Plain Chicken

Pork Marinade - this was plenty for the four chops.
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup ranch dressing (see note below)
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp pepper
4 pork chops, 1" to1¼” thick
Parmesan Crumb Topping
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoons garlic salt,
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan
2 tablespoons melted butter

Directions:
  • Combine ingredients for marinade and pour over chops. I marinated in the refrigerator for 6 hours and flipped half way through. 
  • Grill chops over high then medium heat to an internal temp of 135* or your desired temperature – I was shooting for 145* after the broiler.
  • While the chops are cooking, mix together bread crumbs, garlic salt, shredded Parmesan and butter.
  • Position rack in center of toaster oven (for me) and preheat the broiler on the 300* setting.
  • Transfer cooked chops to oven-safe pan or dish and top with Parmesan crumb topping. 
  • Place chops under broiler and cook until cheese melts and crumb topping begins to turn light brown. Serve immediately.
Note: It is unusual, but we had no Ranch Dressing and I’d been wanting to make some from scratch, but most of the recipes used ingredients I didn’t have, so I used the recipe from About.com, but used dried parsley and added some fresh chives

Ranch Dressing - About.com 

Ingredients:
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tsp dried parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh chives, finely chopped

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until completely mixed. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

We sided the chops with a salad and I used the ranch dressing.  It was pretty good for a quick version and I’ll make it from scratch again, but next time use one of the recipes (I have a couple of yours) that utilize fresh herbs.

We all agreed that the chops were super good.  I got them cooked just right (tender and juicy) and the marinade and Panko topping flavors were delicious.  Bev raved about them and I look forward to trying this on steak and chicken.  Thanks for posting this Steph.

Photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/16/13 meal date


12 comments:

  1. Oooh, Yum! That looks and sounds delicious! Love putting crumb topping on grilled meat.. gives it that illusion that it's almost bad for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Love pork chops!! These look terrific... Can't miss with parmesan crusting, that's for sure. Now I'm really ready for breakfast! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chops look perfect! I love anything with Parmesan cheese. Ranch dressing is a favorite in our house, used for salad and all things dipping. Have a great weekend Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chops look fantastic! What a great marinade and I love the parmesan topping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious looking dinner. I love grilling my meat too. The parmesan crust sounds delicious and interesting. Will give that a try next time. :) I agree, fresh herbs are the best. I always try to keep as many on hand as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect meal for the end of a vacation. I'm always ready for something simple when I get home.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fabulous dinner, Larry. I'd love both the pork and the salad. YUM... Thanks for making me hungry!!!! ha

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely delicious. We're going to have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! This post is making me super hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes I think that meat and a salad makes a perfect dinner. And I love making homemade Ranch dressing. I have a recipe that I really like and buttermilk is the key ingredient. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there, fella! Sure hope this finds you and Bev doing well. It's been a while since I've visited my favorite bloggers and friends_ life takes us down many paths. ;)

    The recipe sounds wonderful_ grilled chops, (tender and juicy), is at the top of our list. And we have been having fresh garden salad now for a number of weeks. Is your garden all in?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hubby loves pork chops on the grill. Next time I'll have to top them with this parmesan crust. They look really good!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments