Monday, January 28, 2013

Chicken Tortila Soup

It was ice storm day in East Tennessee and Bev had been wanting to make tortilla soup as Madison likes it and so do the rest of us.  She found a new recipe on food.com as well as one from the Pioneer Woman and basically used the first one with some additional ingredients from Ree, and adaptations of her own.

Chicken Tortilla Soup – adapted from food.com

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons canola oil
8 corn tortillas, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, diced
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
4 jalapenos (pretty large), roasted, peeled, and seeded
1½ tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder (Larry’s homemade)
3 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock (Homemade and richer than store bought)
1 teaspoon salt
2 cans black beans (15 oz) drained and rinsed
1 can corn (15 oz) drained
2 huge (Dolly sized) boneless chicken breast halves
Larry's chili powder
Adobo All Purpose Seasoning (Goya)
Garnishes:
Shredded monterey jack cheese
Diced avocado
Sour cream (optional)
2 corn tortillas, sliced and fried crisp (optional)
Diced cucumber

Directions:
1.  Remove the chicken from the bone and pound to about ¾“.
2.  Season with Larry’s chili powder and Adobo Seasoning
3.  Bake at 350* to an internal temp. of 160* and let cool enough to handle then cut into desired size (¼“ for Bev, bigger for me, shredded for others)
4.  In a dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
5.  Add the tortillas, garlic, celery, cilantro and onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
6.  Add the tomatoes and jalapenos (can substitute Rotel), bringing to a boil.
7.  Add cumin, chili powder and bay leaves.
8.  Add chicken stock and return to a boil.
9.  Reduce heat, add salt and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
11 Remove bay leaves and stir in chicken, beans and corn and cook another 15 minutes.
12.Add to bowls and garnish with those you like.

My first bowl was out of the pot with a little shredded cheddar and some lettuce and cucumber left from tacos – the cukes provided a nice crunch.  Bev and I both thought it was very good but it needed the dairy to tone down the heat a little.  Using mild Rotel and adding the desired heat with powered cayenne or using less jalapenos are both ways to achieve a lower heat level.  For my second bowl, I began by slicing and frying some corn tortillas.

For garnishments, I added shredded Irish cheddar, a small dollop of sour cream, some diced cucumber, and the tortilla chips. 

After I stirred it up, mine looked like cream of tortilla soup and it was outstanding – maybe the best ever.

I'm now responding to your comments and hoping you will stop back by - photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

1/25/13 meal date

27 comments:

  1. It looks a lot like the taco soup that I made this week! It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious, Larry. I'd love to join you for a bowl. I hope all is well. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary won't it be great to sit down together for a bowl.

      Delete
  3. You crack me up with your Dolly size chicken breast reference. And if it's got your homemade chili powder in it, it's got to be the best Chicken Tortilla soup I've ever had. AND, I love that little cool crunch of cucumber that you've added as a topping. I'm having guests for SuperBowl,,,was planning on Chili, I may change my mind to this. Sounds great Larry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put that in there just for you. Being the SW food person you are, I believe you'd like it.

      Delete
  4. Very cute! This is one of my favorite soups love anything Southwest with corn.. I am ready for some right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia and you now have another version to consider.

      Delete
  5. Larry, Sounds great for this up and down chilly weather... No bell peppers so I'm ready to belly up to the bar and down a hot bowl of tortilla soup! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to make tortilla soup for a while now.. it's one of Chris' favorites... but he's so particular about it, I was afraid I would pick the wrong recipe and he'd hate it.... I'm thinking I'll be giving this a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn - Maybe make a small batch just in case.

      Delete
  7. I made tortilla soup last winter and didn't like the recipe and haven't tried it again. I don't think I can pass up this version with all those great flavors. Looks like perfect Super Bowl food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it Cathy, let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  8. Best Ever? I have to try it! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a soup for a wintry day. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, it was perfect for the ice storm day.

      Delete
  10. I would love that one, Larry... I love Mexican food --as long as it is not too spicy... I have a great recipe for Taco Soup which is similar...

    Have a good day tomorrow -and hope that neither of us get any of that bad weather.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy - We're sure getting lots of rain and the temp has dropped 10* thru the day

      Delete
  11. Ummm,mmmm! It's supposed to be single digits here again tomorrow and -3 degrees Friday morning, so this soup would be great for it. That cilantro has to go though, maybe a little parsley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temps are in free fall here as well and we may have to finish off the leftovers.

      Delete
  12. From the omelets, to the brisket, to that heavenly sounding pasta, to the Canadian bacon, to one of my favorite soups, you are eating fabulously this week! Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you might need another bowl of this today. This icy weather has me ready for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never tried making this at home but I certainly have enjoyed it at restaurants. Pretty bad weather here the past couple of weeks but that's normally for our part of the country. We have been spoiled recently though.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments