Thursday, January 31, 2013

Beef Filet Hash

The header is of Madison's three ferrets (Mitchell, Roscoe, Lilly) and this in normal for them.  I don't know how the Lilly is not being mashed.

Bev had bought a whole beef filet and when Rhett and family were her, we had steaks from it.  If you’ve ever bought a whole filet, you know there is a good bit of meat that is not usable for a nicely shaped steak and we decided to turn some of it into breakfast food (surprised you didn’t I) in the form of beef filet hash.  I cut up some of the scraps into chunks and fried them up with some onion, green pepper, green onions, and home fries made from baked potatoes leftover from the steak meal.
I first fried the veggies together and when they were about done, I moved them to one side of the skillet and browned the meat.  The potatoes were seasoned with S&P and Tiger Seasoning and the meat got a sprinkle of Montreal Steak Seasoning.

While this was cooking, I fried up some eggs.  When the meat was mostly brown, I mixed everything together, cooked for a couple more minutes, plated, and topped with a couple of the eggs.

It was delicious way to have steak and eggs for breakfast and all three of us ate a good portion.

I'm now responding to your comments and hoping you will stop back by - photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

12/7/12 meal date

32 comments:

  1. What? You decided on breakfast? Well color me surprised :)
    Seriously... it looks wonderful! And now I'm wishing I had turned our steaks the other night into breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew everyone would be surprised. The nice thing is there will surely be other steaks in your house.

      Delete
  2. You always make such awesomely hearty breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dream in life is to have you make breakfast for me one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steak and eggs - go figure! I'm with Pam - please open your own breakfast diner so we can come visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - thanks Tricia and if I were younger, I would definitely consider it.

      Delete
  5. Larry, Love your new 'header' photo! Tell Madison that Laurie and I think her babies are really beautiful... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great breakfast! You've made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was a great dinner and a great breakfast. It's nice that Madison's pets are so entertaining; their toys are certainly numerous and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's just part of the things she has for them.

      Delete
  8. The ferrets are so cute!

    You KNOW this is my kind of meal Larry. Perfectly made hash with perfectly cooked eggs! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I'm glad you liked the looks of it.

      Delete
  9. Ferrets make me sick, but I love this recipe. Can't wait to see your pic by the water again! lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam - I ferret free house would be my preference as well. I'll probably put up a lake shot when the water comes back up.

      Delete
  10. I love hash! And it's been awhile since I've made any. I've never bought a whole beef filet. That looks like a good meal Larry. Great photo of the ferets. They're sure a cozy bunch. And spoiled, lots of toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hash is hard to beat, especially with a couple of eggs on top. The critters are incredibly cozy.

      Delete
  11. Hi Larry, I love hash --of all kinds, including the EGGS... Yum!!!!! Makes me hungry.

    Hope you have a good weekend. We finally got some SNOW this morning... Yeah!!! BUT--it was 10 degrees when I got up early today...

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy - I looked on Wunderground webcams and saw that you guys had a little - nothing down here in the valley.

      Delete
  12. You are right about the little pieces of a filet. The ends can't be turned into steaks but they are prime meat. Great way to use them Larry. Why am I not surprised that you turned them into breakfast hash. BTW I always order corned beef hash for breakfast in restaurants that have it on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. I do the same thing when the restaurant makes it's own hash.

      Delete
  13. Dude, that hash looks heavenly! I just now realized there were three ferrets in that pic and not just two. Comfy together aren't they? Do they ever snap at each other? Our chinchillas do and it is usually at 2 or 3 in the morning. That'll wake you up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont't think they ever fight but just play.

      Delete
  14. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, no matter what the name of the meal this would be delicious any time of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - I'm a breakfast food anytime kind of guy myself.

      Delete
  15. Your breakfasts always sound great but with filet you have taken it over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bill and I have never tasted 'hash' before, but it is very popular here in SC, especially when the local fire fighters have their semi-annual 'hash' sales. It looks and sounds delicious and of course, I would have to have that dripping egg yolk all over it too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments