Thursday, December 1, 2011

Texas RV Trip - Shopping Day & Winery

WE'RE HOME SAFE AND SOUND, BUT PLEASE CONTINUE TO TUNE IN AND READ ABOUT OUR TRIP.

Correction to yesterday - it was fried green tomatoes - not onion rings.

There are a few sure things in life such as death, taxes, the sun will rise and set, and there will be at one Bev shopping day on every vacation.  We woke to a 45* morning (I plugged in the electric heater to take off the chill) with clear blue skies and a predicted high of only 74* - perfect - warm enough for shorts and cool enough for the pups to go with us and be left in the car.  Kathy and the grandkids were off to Marble Falls for Thanksgiving with her hubby's folks, we had no pressing duties around camp and hopefully everyone else will be staying home until Black Friday.

We headed down to Cavender's Boot City so Bev could look at boots and she decided western boots were not her thing.  The store was located in the biggest outlet mall, Tanger, we'd ever seen (146 stores and 9 eateries), putting those in Pigeon Forge, Tn to shame and it was located next to the equally large Premium Outlet Mall (Gucci, Saks, Armani, etc) (149 stores and 9 eateries).

Bev decided she wasn't wanting to shop any more (call me shocked) but did want to go to a nearby winery.  I didn't realize wine making was so big in Texas and it's the 5th largest producer in the USA with most of the grapes grown on the high mesa (3200') in the Lubbock area.

We pulled in at the Dry Comel Creek Vineyard and Winery and took a few shots - all of the buildings for the winery were built to match the already existing house.

The owner was in the tasting room and we enjoyed learning more about the winery and according to her, due to disease problems, the Black Spanish Grape is all they grow at the winery and at least part of it goes into Port.  This was the nice young lady pouring for us and we really liked their wine - much fruitier than normal wines, so we invested in a case to bring home.

Earlier, we had visitied the Three Dudes Winery about a half mile from the campground.  It's very blah looking from the front, but around back it is very nice and runs all the way to the river where they have a nice covered place for outings.  We really liked their wine and look forward to the first release of their delicious Port.  Here are a couple of shots.

It was another nice day in Texas.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago:  Where The Cooking Happens At Almost Heaven South

Two years ago: Quesadilla Left Over

Larry

12 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased and relieved that the 2nd half of your holiday went so well.

    Sending our care, huggles and (his) loud puRRRRumbles, Michelle and Zebby Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tasted a Texas wine. Must look into that. California, Washington, New York, Oregon ... and Texas? Who would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of Texas as a wine producing state and don't think I've ever seen a bottle on a wine shop shelf. I'm not much of a shopper but the Premium Outlet Mall would have tempted me with their 149 stores. It sounds like your trip was very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear you are home safe and sound. What a great trip you all had even with some "bumps" in the road. My FIL bought a new truck to haul his RV and should be back on the road to winter in the south, hopefully they will have better luck and not drive with their checkbook open!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you made it home safely. The shopping sounds great and the winery looks like a fun place to visit. I've never had Texas wine either, but will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, We're glad that you're home safe and sound... Quite a trip!

    You're a brave man and good husband! Tanger malls, or for that matter, any malls or shopping = too many retail career memories for me and I avoid them if at all possible.

    I thought that those onion rings looked weird! As fried green tomatoes, they looked great... As for the wineries, they are Laurie's favorite place to shop!

    Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got home safe and sound... We had some snow on Tuesday---and last night's low here was 24...... (Wish I were in Texas now!!!! ha)

    I'm not much into shopping --but I'd love visiting the wineries....

    Hope you made it home without any problems.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a trip. Say hi to that "hot Chick" of yours. Glad you are home safely. I am worn out from my cooking contest. We had a humble chile with cornbread tonight. Don't want to get back in the kitchen anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think of wine when I think of Texas only because the weather can be so dry and hot. Of course, you proved me wrong with those beautiful temps you experienced 45F in the a.m. and 74 as the high-wow.

    Glad to join you on your Rv vacation. Welcome home.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you arrived home safely!!
    I'm so jealous that you got to go to the winery's!!! I guess I'll just live vicariously through you for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wondered about those fried onion rings - they looked like onion slices. Fried tomatoes makes more sense and sound just as tasty.

    Wine tasting is always a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If their outlet makes Pigeon Forge seem small.....holy cow!

    I'd rather drink wine than shop any day of the week, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments