Friday, June 10, 2011

Fried Bologna – It’s What’s For Breakfast

A few days ago we made a trip down to Benton’s Country Ham’s to get bacon for our BLT's and Bev requested some bologna as well.  In addition to their famous bacon and hams, they have a little meat case and sell good sliced to order products like cheese and Lay’s bologna - I had them slice me a few heavy ¼ “ slices.

For breakfast, Bev had a fried bologna sandwich and I had an egg dish of course.  While I toasted a slice of homemade bread, I fried the bologna and topped it with cheese after flipping.  I cracked an egg into another pan and topped with some diced Vidalia onion, which cooked a little after I flipped the egg.  Here’s what I ended up with and it was delicious.

The previous night, we had our second and final dish of killed lettuce and it was the entire meal, enjoyed down on the dock. For those not familiar with the dish, it’s made from leaf lettuce topped with a dressing made from hot bacon grease which kills (wilts) it.

For this dish, the lettuce included green onion and the dressing was made from bacon grease, olive oil, and vinegar which were all heated together.  After pouring this over the lettuce Bev drizzled on some balsamic vinegar added some chopped bacon, hard-boiled egg, and grated parmesan.  She usually adds some beaten egg to the dressing to provide a little thickness to it, but she decided to give this a try - back to the old way next time.

She was hungry and didn’t get the dressing hot enough, so it turned out to be more of a wounded, than killed, lettuce.  The flavor was the same but the lettuce was hardly wilted.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
One year ago:  Grilled Shrimp And Cheesy Potatoes

Larry

16 comments:

  1. Nothing like good old fried bologna!
    My mom used to fry it and smother it in bbq sauce and put it on wonder bread. Funny enough.....it was delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever bought anything but packaged bologna. I'll have to give the good stuff a try. Love the killed lettuce. Chris, Nibble Me This, made that dressing a while back and I tried it last week. DEElicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will eat anything green, killed or not! lol. Seriously, I have not heard it called that before, but hey, I live in the backwoods of Alabama! I am going to have to give this one a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good fried bolonga and egg sandwich, must have cheese of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandma used to make us fried bologna all the time! I still to this day, love it :) Now, I know next time, I'm putting an egg over top of it!!
    And the salad... love wilting salads like this...especially with beloved bacon grease :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wilted salad looks so very good, especially when presented in your lovely red "swirly" platter. What a lovely dinner to enjoy down in the coolness I expect you get on dock-side evenings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, this is a new one for me. There is a great German deli close by. I'll have to get a nice slice of bologna and try this. Everything's better with an egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, this brings back memories! My mother used to make fried bologna and I haven't had it in ages. Maybe I'll try some on the grill ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them kilt salads, even if it's just wounded LOL!! Sure looks good. That egg looks mighty fine too, though I'm like Bev - I love a fried bologna sandwich too!

    Have a great weekend Larry & Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wounded lettuce. That's pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wounded lettuce - you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I love fried bologna and buy it from our Italian butcher here in town, yummy! Slice it thick like you said and fry. I love your version of it with the egg and all and will be trying that. Love wilted salad too and will be making that a lot this summer. I've had wounded salad a few times myself! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sooo love fried bologna! May not be gourmet but it's yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. "more of a wounded, than killed, lettuce"
    That was hilarious, Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Larry, Hopefully Blogspot will allow me to leave comments today. I tried yesterday to no avail... In any case, we sort of duplicated the fried bologna and egg breakfast this morning. Laurie's had buttered toast on the bottom, followed by a slice of Benton's fried bologna and 2 easy over eggs. I added a slice of cheddar cheese to my own version. Thanks for the idea. Great breakfast! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave & Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to fry bologna all the time and you've just conjured up wonderful memories of this simple treat! Yum, Larry! Goodness, you need to open a little diner with your awesome breakfast creations....this is awesome. Bev's salad is something that I also enjoy; our leaf lettuce is way gone by now....just too hot and it would bolt! But nothing like fresh leaf lettuce salads!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments