Friday, December 31, 2010

Stuffed Pork Loin For The Family

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE TO EVERYONE

Uncle Bill, the last sibling of Bev’s mom, passed away this week and the tradition here is to take food to the family. Knowing I had two whole pork loins in the fridge, Bev decided she’d like me to make a stuffed one for them.

I trimmed off most of the fat, opened it up, and pounded it to an even thickness. For the stuffing, I sautéed some onion, roasted red pepper, garlic and just a little sun-dried tomato, then let it cool, spread, and added some Tillamock smoked cheddar. I swear I’m going to have to write down the stuffing ingredients as soon as we decided on them as I always forget something. This one was supposed to get a little diced country ham, which I remembered about the time I tied the last knot. Here it is before and after rolling - I like to put a good taper on the outside edge (left in the shot) so it is smoother on the outside after rolling.

On the outside, it got a coating of olive oil and a sprinkling of dried thyme, sage, parsley, S&P.

I baked it in a 350* oven to an internal temp of 140* so it would have room to be reheated without getting overdone.

If we weren’t pressed for time, I would have used the reverse sear method to develop a more consistent doneness throughout (similar to the Christmas rib roast), then put a high temp crust on it at the end.  Stuffed loin is a fairly quick and easy way to provide a pretty special meal, and guess what happened to that highly flavored cheese you see in the bottom of the pan - yum.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

10 comments:

  1. That is a quite interesting recipe.I feel tempted to try it out myself. hope you enjoyed making it.
    Wishing you a very happy and blessed New year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visitin my blog and your kind words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that pork loin filling sounds downright amazing! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom is the last of all her siblings still alive. So sorry for your loss and the loss of a generation. Pork loins are such a wonderful meat for so many flavors and seasonings. I've never stuffed one and if Osso Buco weren't our NYE tradition I'd be tempted to stuff me up a loin! Happy New Year's Eve Larry and Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the loss in your family...stuffed pork loin is always one of my favorites. Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for the loss in your family, Larry. Your pork loin sounds perfect! Happy New Year to you and Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Funeral food" is such a southern tradition, isn't it? You did a great job with the loin. Good tip on the tapering part, that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about the death in the family... It's SO hard especially during this season. That stuffed pork loin looks fabulous....

    Hope you all have a great 2011.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry about your families loss- it's hard anytime, but doubly so during the holidays. This roast looks delish Larry! Im guessing you scraped up that cheese and devoured it- at least that's what I'd do.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about Bev's uncle. It's difficult to lose loved ones, but this time of year is especially hard. I think that was a very nice meal to bring! Sure looks wonderful.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments