Saturday, December 11, 2010

Country Ham & Brown Sugar

Remember the country ham I found yesterday while organizing the freezer?

Over the years, we've thrown away several bricks of brown sugar, especially the dark brown variety. Most of you real cooks and probably all of the bakers know the following, so this is for the one or two of you who are not aware, as we weren't. Just put the brick of sugar in a plastic bag, lay a slice of bread on top, and seal it up. The next morning the sugar will be nice and soft again. Bev just did this and it worked perfectly, with one caution - place the bread where it can easily be removed or you may end up with little bread chunks in the sugar. Almost sounds like the voice of experience doesn't it? What a great idea this is and I wish we'd learned about it 30 years and many bricks of sugar ago. Later, I went on line, did a search and this was the first tip I found - duh.

Engineer joke #2
An engineer was crossing a road one day, when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess." He bent over, picked up the frog, and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn back into a beautiful princess and stay with you for one week." The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want." Again, the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket. Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess and that I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?" The engineer said, "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog - now that's cool."

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

6 comments:

  1. I actually always forget the brown sugar trick! Lately it hasn't been a problem because I've been baking so much. But thanks for posting this for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard about the bread trick. Thanks for sending along the tip. Sometimes, if it's not too far gone, a few seconds in the microwave can bring it back to life. I honestly don't know what to say about that joke! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so busy groaning over that joke that I forgot to comment on that breakfast sandwich. I got my latest edition of Food and Wine Magazine and they have a similar sandwich on the cover. I've not read the article yet, but it's about breakfast sandwiches becoming a trend in restaurants. You're a trendsetter Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute engineer joke, Larry....

    I did not know that about the brown sugar. I will remember it the next time we have HARD brown sugar.... Thanks!!!!

    Have a good day--and be ready for some even colder weather... Yipes!!!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Being a damn Yankee, I've never heard of country ham and brown sugar. Sounds a bit weird but interesting. The salt in the ham with the sugar must cause quite a spike for the taste buds! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. A recipe, a tip and a joke - you're on to something, Larry! I've heard about using a slice of apple, not bread. This is a great thing to know. Vickie
    P.S. A talking frog would be cool!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments