Monday, September 7, 2009

DARN !!! Beer Batter

I have a long way to go if I’m going to be a good blogger, especially in the picture area. I was pleased that I remembered to take my camera and took some early pics, but for the second time in less than a week, I got so caught up in the cooking and eating that I forgot to take finished pictures – and we had some great looking fish, sides and dessert. Some avid angler friends provided the Tellico Lake caught crappie (pronounced croppie in this area). We deep fried them using a neighbors beer batter recipe with Old Bay added then rolled in Panko bread crumbs and sided it with slaw, caramel apple toffee salad, smoky mountain potato salad and hushpuppies and topped it all off with homemade ice cream, brownies and trifle. What could be better than spending the evening with great friends, great food and a great locale. This is the fish ready to begin breading The cooking set up The breading assembly line - Bev did the breading and I cooked em DEEP FRIED CRAPPIE Dean's Beer Batter 1 cup Flour, self rising 1 can Beer - add slowly til right consistency 1 ea Egg 1 tsp Salt 1 tsp Old Bay (added by us) Mix batter ingredients together (it may only take a cup of beer). Dip fish in batter and drain excess, then coat with Panko. Cook in oil at about 365*. SMOKEY MOUNTAIN POTATO SALAD WBIR TV has a video and the recipe on their website. Ingredients 4 large potatoes, cut into bite-sized pcs. with skin on Mayonnaise, to taste 1/2 cup bacon, cooked & crumbled 1/2 cup sliced green onion 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese salt & pepper to taste Directions Place potatoes in a medium pan and cover with cool water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender approximately 12-15 minutes. Drain potatoes and allow to steam dry. Gently fold in remaining ingredients. Serve chilled (I like potato salad at room temp). Presenter: Cheryl Hatfield, Black Tie Catering on Live At Five TV Show

2 comments:

  1. I need to get me a burner like that (one on the ground) because I HATE frying in the house.

    Funny about the pics. Believe me, it might be the first time but it won't be the last. Things get happening so we've all been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just the burner for a turkey fryer. We use it alot in the summer so as to not heat up the house or trash the stove.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments